There could be a hundred reasons why I don’t follow someone on Twitter; let’s try to narrow that down to 10…
Top 10 reasons why I don’t follow you on Twitter:
- You direct message me with spam. No explanation needed here (though, you could read my previous blog on the manner here). Unless you have something to ask me that you wish to be kept private, don’t DM me. I probably will not click your link; and when I reply back to your “hello, thanks for following” message and don’t get a response in return, I get annoyed and might even stop following you.
- All of your tweets are actually just Foursquare “checkins.” Don’t get me wrong, I’m a Foursquare geek, but I usually turn the Twitter/Facebook syncs off. If I really cared where you are all the time, I would follow you on Foursquare…
- You have nothing but @mentions in your Twitter feed. If I check your Twitter feed and you’re just talking to your friends back and forth, I usually don’t follow back. I mostly use Twitter to find content/people I can learn from.
- Your tweets are just sent from your Facebook page.
- It’s obvious you are just trying to get more followers. The biggest red flag here is using hashtags such as #followback or #500aday. Twitter should not be a popularity contest. Grow up.
- Your profile tells me nothing about you. I typically follow like-minded Twitter users–people in PR, marketing, social media, advertising, photography or related fields. So if your profile says something like “Hello world,” I probably won’t follow you. Use your profile as an introduction and sincerely express your interests. Oh, and post an actual website.
- Non of your links contain hashtags or otherwise appears you have no idea how to use Twitter.
- You have poor grammar. Social media is not an excuse for bad writing.
- You do not have an avatar. This is a big one. That default image of an egg is annoying to look at for a reason. People like to follow real people/companies. Take the time to put a profile picture up and I might think you’re a real person.
- You follow more than 1,000 users, but have zero tweets. Why are you even on Twitter?
Basically, I am on Twitter to meet people who share similar interests as I do and who I feel I can learn from. Networking is also a major reason I am on Twitter. My ultimate goal of following people who live near me and share similar interests is to eventually meet them in person. Lastly, I don’t really see the point in trying to gain 100,000 followers just to have 100,000 followers. Whether you are an individual or a company, you will benefit from Twitter more from having a tight group of followers who share similar interests than a bunch of random people who are just on Twitter to gain followers.
If you are still confused why you only have 10 people following you on Twitter, here are some great resources:
- FOLLOW FAIL: The Top 10 Reasons I Will Not Follow You in Return on Twitter
- Why People Don’t Follow Back on Twitter
- Follow Me, Follow You on Twitter
- WHY I PROBABLY DON’T FOLLOW YOU ON TWITTER
- 30 REASONS I WON’T FOLLOW YOU ON TWITTER
- 14 Reasons I Won’t Follow You On Twitter [Revisited]
Why do you not follow people on Twitter?